Life insurance companies must act fairly and in good faith. There are many instances, however, when insurance companies avoid paying claims within the time limit set by the law. While some claim delays may be due to legitimate reasons, very often life insurance companies delay paying claims as a tactic to force the beneficiary to eventually give up.
Not every beneficiary has sufficient knowledge to identify the difference between legitimate insurance claim investigations and illegitimate claim delays. An insurance company has a duty to conduct insurance claim investigations in a reasonable and timely manner. Insurance policies require that the insured must cooperate with the insurer in the claim investigation process, giving the insurer the right to ask for specific documents or items related to your claim.
If you comply with requests for relevant information and documents, you may expedite your claim review process. Failure to comply with reasonable record requests, however, may result in a lengthy investigation and a probable claim denial.
If your life insurance claim investigation or payment is being unjustifiably delayed, our life insurance lawyers at Kadetskaya Law Firm can help. We know the life insurance law and the insurers’ duties under the law. Call (888) 510-2212 for a free consultation.
Our Areas of Expertise in Handling Life Insurance Claim Delays
At Kadetskaya Law Firm, we have expedited review of delayed life insurance claims caused by the following:
- Confirmation of coverage: The insurer claims it is in the process of confirming coverage based on the terms of the insurance policy. Faulty policy interpretation is one of the more common examples of unfair tactics insurance companies will use to delay claims. This process frequently results in the eventual claim denial.
- Ongoing investigation. The insurer has the duty to properly investigate the claim and keep you informed of the status of your life insurance claim. However, if to all your requests for a status update the insurance adjuster responds, “It is being investigated,” the claim is being wrongfully delayed. If there are no specific reasons for an unusually lengthy review, consult with a life insurance attorney about your options.
- Referral to the Special Investigations Unit (SIU). SIU referrals are legitimately a means to investigate potential insurance fraud. If there is no evidence of fraud, however, SIU referrals represent a process designed to avoid payment of insurance claims.
- Examination Under Oath (EUO). The EUO is a formal proceeding taken under oath in front of a court reporter. An EUO is conducted when the insurer requires additional detailed information from the policyholder in order to make a coverage decision. EUO’s can also be used in wrongful claim delay, as an excuse to delay and eventually deny a claim. If you have been asked to attend an EUO, contact our life insurance attorney for a free consultation.
Below are a few cases involving life insurance claim delays that our lawyers have handled successfully:
- Delayed claim due to contestability
- Delayed claim due to contestability check
- Delayed claim due to fraudulent beneficiary designation
- Delayed claim due to foreign death
If you find yourself in one of the situations described above or you simply need legal advice, call an attorney at our law firm for help. We will communicate with the life insurance company on your behalf making sure you know the real reason for payment delay.
How Our Attorneys Can Help Expedite Your Claim Delay
Many of our clients call us for help after they have fully cooperated and the insurance claim remained unreasonably delayed. If that is the case, you should speak with one of our life insurance attorneys who will investigate the delay for you and give you competent legal advice on the best course of action to expedite the payment.
At Kadetskaya Law firm, we have considerable experience in helping clients understand their rights as life insurance beneficiaries and collect the benefits they are entitled to in a timely manner.
We are skilled in:
- Collecting your delayed life insurance claims fast;
- Expediting review of your claim;
- Protecting clients’ rights by overseeing the claim review process from the claim file to payment;
- Litigating wrongful bad faith life insurance delays.
We have handled cases against many life insurance companies that delay paying claims, including Colonial Life, Foresters, Hartford Life, Minnesota Life, United of Omaha, and many more. You can find the complete list here.
Delayed Life Insurance Claim Lawyer Fee
Our attorneys work on a contingent fee basis. It means that we do not charge legal fees unless we collect the life insurance proceeds for you. Only then will we charge a reasonable legal fee. We take pride in offering competitive contingent fee structures and will work with you to ensure you are comfortable with the fee.
To avoid an unfair delay of your benefits, please consult with one of our life insurance attorneys. At our law firm, we can work with you to evaluate your case and help you expedite the payment on the delayed claim. Call (888) 510-2212 for a no-cost, confidential consultation. We have the experience you can trust.