What is life insurance law? What type of law firms resolve life insurance disputes? Where should I start my research? Many people do not have to deal with life insurance law or attorneys who practice it. However, if you are one of the people who have been turned down by a life insurance company after a loved one died, this article will help you understand your legal options. While life insurance law is practiced by both plaintiff and defense attorneys, this blog is focused only on the laws protecting a person whose life insurance claim has been denied.
Generally, life Insurance law is an area of law that deals with life insurance and accidental death policies, life and accident claim review and litigation that may ensue as a result of disputes involving denied or delayed life insurance and accidental death claims. While life insurance issues may be handled as part of general litigation, divorce or estate planning, there are law firms that specialize only in life insurance. Plaintiff’s life insurance attorneys represent an individual whose claim has been denied. They protect the individual’s interests in his/her fight against life insurance companies, employers, group plans and competing claimants. Life insurance law is diverse and varies from state to state. In addition, some policies are controlled by federal insurance laws and not state insurance laws. An experienced life insurance attorney will explain which law will apply and how your case will proceed.
Life insurance law may encompass many different scenarios, the most common ones are listed below:
- revocation of a former spouse as a life insurance beneficiary under state law;
- denial or delay of a life insurance or an accidental death claim;
- beneficiary dispute;
- contestability investigation;
- conversion of a group policy into a private policy;
- estate planning using life policies;
- changing beneficiaries following a divorce or a court order;
- setting up a trust involving a life insurance policy;
- naming minors as beneficiaries on life insurance policies;
- problems arising from not complying with policy terms;
- group life insurance requirements for evidence of insurability;
- group life insurance requirements for waiver of premium;
- life insurance policy lapse;
- group life insurance claim denials in policies controlled by ERISA;
- disputes about which law applies to a particular life insurance policy;
- denial of claims for supplemental life insurance obtained through employment;
- payment of claims to the wrong beneficiary;
- ERISA violations by fiduciaries in life insurance cases.
At our law firm, we have helped hundreds of clients with these and many others life insurance matters. We have experience in resolving beneficiary disputes, winning ERISA appeals, and overturning life and accident claim denials. As our potential client, you will receive a free consultation and a free confidential review of the documents in connection with your case. Our life insurance lawyers do not charge any fees unless we win your case. Call us today at 1-888-510-2212 for a free consultation.